Whether you’ve just moved across town or across the country, there’s still a lot to do before you can put your feet up in your new home. Try not to put off these move-in essentials. As exhausted as you may be, it’s important to tackle this checklist as soon as possible so you can avoid issues like heavy fines, financial penalties, lost mail, lapses in insurance coverage, or home safety risks. Here’s a quick checklist from The Alfriend Group to help you get your life organized after a move.
Find New Local Services and Amenities
From finding a new family doctor to enrolling your kids in school, you have a lot of research ahead of you!
- Find a new doctor and book your doctor’s appointment online.
- Take a trip to your local grocery store to restock your fridge and pantry.
- Research schools for your kids and visit them in person before registering.
Take Care of Essential Address Updates
As soon as possible after moving, contact the appropriate organizations to update your address. If you moved from out of state, you’ll have to get a new license and enroll in a new health insurance plan.
- Visit your nearest DMV office and update your license and registration.
- Update your address with the post office, your bank, your utility companies, and any other organizations that need to know where you live.
- Update your voter’s registration immediately after your move.
Settling into Your Home
A little upfront work now will ensure your home protects the health and safety of your family for years to come.
- Give your home a deep clean before unpacking boxes and arranging furniture.
- Get the locks changed in your new home for safety and security.
- Learn about your new home, including how to operate the fuse box, water valves, and HVAC unit.
- Make a few home modifications to keep your family healthy and happy.
Moving comes with a host of to-dos. When you finally arrive in your new home, it’s easy to overlook those last few things that need to get done before you can really settle in. Work your way through this checklist so you don’t miss anything important!
Are you still looking to buy or sell a home? The Alfriend Group can help! We offer real estate services in Central Ohio. Give us a call so we can discuss your real estate needs. 614-395-1776