Are you thinking about selling your home, but overwhelmed with the amount of stuff you have accumulated, and not sure what to keep and what to toss? Whether you are moving to a larger home for your growing family, or an empty-nester looking to downsize, the decision on what to pack and bring to your new home, what to donate, what to try and sell, and what to just toss out, can be time consuming and stressful. Check out these moving mad easy tips and resources to help make your transition smooth and stress-free.
Pre-Listing To Dos:
- De-Clutter, De-Clutter, and then De-Clutter again. If you have already had a real estate agent or stager come out to preview your home, I am sure they have stressed the importance of de-cluttering your home before putting it on the market. This is a great time to do some pre-packing and decision making. Photo albums, knick knacks, kitchen and bath items you don’t use regularly, and off season clothing are a great place to start. Any items you won’t need these last few weeks or months in your current home, you can go ahead and pack, donate, sell, or toss.
- If you Haven’t Worn it, Read it, or Used it in the past 2 years, you probably never will. Still holding on to clothing items you hope to one day fit back into or an extensive CD and DVD collection you’ve been hauling around since college? We all have items we have been holding onto, but will most likely never use again. This is a great time to go through them and decide what is sellable, what you should donate, and what are worth taking with you to your new home.
- Rent a Storage Pod. Again, your real estate agent or stager will probably recommend you store some of your excess furniture and belongings while your home is on the market. Storage bins and pods are good way to store items you plan to move to your new home eventually. Bin and Pod companies will drop off a storage unit for you to fill, then pick it up and store it at their facilities until you are ready to move everything into your new home.
Packing Tips to Save Money and Time:
- Create Your Own Packaging Station. Create a space for all your boxes, packing tape, scissors, sharpies, labels, trash bags, and zip ties. This will help keep you organized, save time, and prevent you from packing something up and forgetting to mark what is in it and where it is suppose to end up.
- Save Money and MacGyver it. Rather than spend money on special bubble wraps, brand new boxes, and plastic bins, repurpose things you already have. Use newspapers, socks, and bedding to wrap and separate breakable items. Zip tie hangers together, hang your clothes, then wrap in a trash bag for homemade wardrobe bags. There are a number of ways to use things you already own to package with, and prevent unnecessary spending and waste.
- Number Boxes and Save a List Indicating what is in Each Box. Rather than labeling boxes with what is in each one like: electronics, jewelry, clothes etc., it is better to number the box, and keep a private list of what each number corresponds with. Therefore, if your home or storage unit is broken into, burglars do not know what boxes to grab based on the labels. Keep a master list which states the box numbers followed by what items are in each one, and from which room of your home they came from. Numbers will also make it easier to identify any missing boxes that get lost or misplaced during the transition.
- Take Photos of Furniture/Electronics Before Disassembly. Before you take apart any furniture or electronics to store or move, take a picture of it before and during the disassembling process. This will save you hours of time when going to put it back together.
Final Moving Moments:
- Change Your Mailing Address. Don’t forget to change your address with the post office, and to set up mail forwarding from your old address. You can either go into your local post office branch or check out their website to see if it can be done online. Also, make sure you provide your banks, credit card companies, physicians, and employers your new address.
- Schedule Donation Pickups. Call or go online to schedule a pick up for the items you plan to donate. Companies like Volunteers of America, Goodwill, and The Salvation Army will send a truck to come pick up these items at no cost.
- Consider Consigning Your Extra Items. If you have some extra pieces of art, furniture, jewelry, clothing, and other household items you do not want to take to your new home, you can contact local consignment shops or second-hand retailers to see if they are worth selling. Consignment shops will assess items to see what they think will sell, display them in their showrooms, and give you 50% of the final sales price for each item. Second-hand retailers will give you a price quote for what they are willing to pay for your items, and buy them directly from you.
Moving Made Easy Dublin Directory
Storage PODS, BINS, and Facilites:
- PODS – Will deliver a storage POD to your home, pick it up, and store it at their facility until you are ready for them to deliver it to your new home. PODS come in 3 sizes ranging from 7’ x 7’ x 8’ to 16’ x 8’ x 8’ and cost between $150 – $180/month with a one-time $65 delivery charge.
- Bins Bring-In Storage – Will drop off a Bin for you to fill at your convenience, and will pick it up and store it at their facility until you are ready for them to deliver it to your new home. 5’, 10’, or 16’ Bins are available for rental.
www.gotbins.com 614-383-9999 or 614-767-5438
- U-Haul Moving & Storage – Has self-storage units and U-boxes available for rent. U-boxes are similar to PODS and Bins and can be dropped off at your existing home, stored at their facilities, and delivered to your new home. U-boxes are 8’ x 5’ x 7.5’ and cost $49.95/month. Self-storage units range from 4’ x 5’ x 8’ all the way to 10’ x 25’ x 8’, and cost between $34.95/month to $174.95/month.
6405 Old Avery Rd. Dublin, Ohio 43016 614-792-8400
- Stor All Self Storage – Provides storage units ranging from 5’ x 5’ to 10’ x 10’ and cost between $49/month – $89/month.
3740 Snouffer Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235 614-461-3003
- Public Storage – Provides storage units ranging from 5’ x 5’ to 15’ x 20’ costing between $33/month to $192/month
5525 Sawmill Rd. Dublin, Ohio 43017 614-954-2040 and
2655 Billingsly Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235 614-707-4265
- Trading Places – Will pay you 50% of the final sales price of any of your items sold in their store during their 120 day consignment period. Requires item pre-approval and delivery appointments. They specialize in indoor and outdoor furniture, home décor, and artwork.
www.tradingplaces.com 6561 Dublin Center Dr. 614-717-9221
- Experienced Possessions – Will pay you 50% of the final sales price of any of your items sold in their store during a 90 day consignment period. Requires item pre-approval and delivery. They specialize in the resale of furniture, home décor, and artwork.
www.experiencedpossessions.net 9236 Dublin Rd. 614-889-0454
- Pink Door – Buys your gently used clothes, jewelry, and accessories. Bring your items in for assessment, and they will select the items they want and give you an offer. Upon acceptance of their offer, they will pay you directly for your items.
329 W. Bridge St. Dublin, Ohio 43017 614-389-3136
- New Uses – Directly buys used furniture, tools, sports equipment, exercise equipment, artwork, small kitchen appliances, electronics, pet accessories, and many other household items. Bring your items into their store to be assessed. They will decide which items they want to sell, and give you an offer for each item. Upon accepting their offer, they will pay you directly for the items.
7410 Sawmill Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235 614-760-7283
- Plato’s Closet – Directly buys used teen and young adult clothing, shoes and accessories.
7525 Sawmill Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235 614-764-7700
- Clothes Mentor – Directly buys gently used men and women’s clothes, shoes, and accessories.
5891 Karric Square Dr. Dublin, Ohio 43016 614-790-9999
- Once Upon A Child – Directly buys used infant, toddler, and youth toys, cribs, strollers, joggers, shoes, accessories, and apparel. Bring your items in for evaluation.
7454 Sawmill Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235 614-791-3400 and
5777 Karric Square Dr. Dublin, Ohio 43016 614-761-8488
- Dublin Furniture Banc – Schedule online or over the phone to schedule a pick-up of any appliances, furniture, mattresses, housewares, and baby items you would like to donate.
- Furniture Bank of Central Ohio – Call or schedule online to for them to pick-up any furniture you would like to donate.
- Volunteers of America Greater Ohio – Call or schedule online to donate bikes, books, bedding, clothes, computers, exercise equipment, furniture, jewelry, musical instruments, shoes, small appliances, and more.
- The Salvation Army – Call or schedule online for them to pick up the furniture, household goods, and clothing items you would like to donate.
- Goodwill Columbus – Call or schedule online a pick of your used clothes, books, household items, furniture, cars, and more.